Gallagher Group has taken out the supreme award for the 2018 Air New Zealand Cargo ExportNZ Awards for Auckland and Waikato regions.
Judges were impressed with the way the Hamilton-based business has become the leading technology company in animal management, security and fuel system industries over the past 80 years.
Founded in 1937, Gallagher was initially a 10-person business which designed and delivered New Zealand’s first electric fence solution. Today, it employs 1100 people across a global network of 10 countries through three business units.
In the June 28 awards, it also won the Westpac Best Large Business (goods exports) category.
The Auckland Airport Exporters Champion (for services to export) was awarded to Sir Patrick Hogan for his contribution to New Zealand’s Thoroughbred industry and influence on putting the country on the world map due to his breeding programme.
He made his mark early on in his career due to his uncanny ability to take the right punt at the right time. Perhaps his best known punt was on an unfashionable stallion called Sir Tristram, who he syndicated and who went on to sire some of the best performers on the race track.
“Our awards demonstrate the vibrancy of the export sector. The judges said the competition was intense. And while that may have made their job difficult it clearly shows the high calibre of talent and innovation that represents New Zealand on the world stage,” says Catherine Lye, regional manager – ExportNZ Auckland
“We’re all about building a community of exporters to help each other to prosper through collegial support, inspiration and sound advice. We need to celebrate the success of our exporters and these awards are just one way we do this,” says Sir Ken Stevens, national chairman – ExportNZ.
Seven category winners were announced from 27 finalists at the awards, along with the supreme winner and exporters champion at the event in Auckland tonight.
ExportNZ Auckland and ExportNZ Waikato are divisions of the Employers and Manufacturers Association.
2018 winners for the Air New Zealand Cargo ExportNZ Awards:
1. Baldwins Intellectual Property Excellence in Innovation Endace helps its customers manage critical data networks. Via its platforms it helps its customers to accurately detect, investigate and analyse network security and performance issues. Global customers include banks, hospitals, telecommunications companies, healthcare providers, retailers, web giants and governments. (Auckland) Other finalists were:
- Valocity Limited (Auckland)
- Organic Initiative (Auckland)
- Spring Sheep Milk Co. (Auckland)
- Serko (Auckland)
2. DHL Best Emerging Business (goods exports) Auckland BioSciences is in the business of manufacturing and exporting premium New Zealand made animal derived serum and plasma. The four-year-old company exports 90 percent of its products to 14 countries around the world for use in veterinary vaccines, which are critical to the health of global livestock populations. (Auckland) Other finalists were:
- Helix Flight Manufacturing Machines Limited (Waikato)
- Loadscan Limited (Waikato)
- Progressive Equipment Limited (Waikato)
- Spring Sheep Milk Co (Auckland)
- Zeffer Cider Co (Auckland)
3. EMA Best Emerging Business (services exports) Haka Educational Tours is part of the award-winning Haka Tourism Group and is a dedicated academic and sport travel company. From curriculum focused school trips, to faculty led university tours and touring school sports teams, it provides a solution for all your global domestic student travel needs. (Auckland) Other finalist:
- EverEdge Global (Auckland)
4. Ports of Auckland Best Medium Business (goods exports) Ross Roof Group is a family owned roofing company celebrating 75 years in the industry. With a strong focus on exporting their stone-coated steel tiles, they now operate in all regions of the world with six offices and 17 staff located in the USA, UK, Europe, Japan, UAE and Argentina. (Auckland) Other finalists were:
- Hunter Filling Systems Limited (Waikato)
- MIX Limited (Auckland)
- Oceanmax International Limited (Auckland)
5. BDO Best Medium Business (services exports) More4Apps creates solutions for users of the Oracle E-Business Suite. In 2000 its developers identified the need for desktop software that enables the easy upload of transactions and other information to Oracle and it has been growing since then. It specialises in providing products for both end-users and developers. (Waikato) Other finalists were:
- Company-X (Waikato)
- Mindfull (Auckland)
- Valocity Limited (Auckland)
6. Westpac Best Large Business (goods exports) Gallagher Group is a global leader in designing ground breaking animal management, security and fuel systems solutions. As a successful private company in New Zealand, Gallagher employ more than 1000 staff worldwide throughout North America, Europe, Asia, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. (Waikato) Other finalists were:
- Invenco Group Limited (Auckland)
- Milk New Zealand Dairy Limited (Auckland)
- New Zealand Bloodstock (Waikato)
7. NZTE Best Large Business (services exports) Gentrack Group designs, builds, deploys and provides supporting solutions for some of the most progressive utilities and airports around the world. Pairing powerful platforms with deep market knowledge, Gentrack enables customers to lower service costs, foster innovation and confidently navigate market reform. (Auckland) Other finalist:
- EROAD (Auckland)